It’s also been scientifically proven that listening to music while actively seeking joy can lift a person’s mood and make them happier. According to a research in 2013 by Ferguson and Sheldon where they made participants listen to Aaron Copland’s upbeat music, people who actively wanted to feel better felt happier than those who were indifferent. So when you find yourself feeling sad because of how much you miss your significant other who is far away, let music help you pass through time until you can see your partner again. To get you started, here’s a list of songs about long distance relationships that you can listen to whenever you’re feeling down:
Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
15 Songs To Listen To When You’re In A Long Distance Relationship
1. One More Day by Diamond RioIt’s often the case when in a long distance relationship that you have to deal with saying goodbye much sooner than you’d want to. The heartache of leaving after spending such happy moments together can be just too painful to bear. So painful that it might make you want to plead with a higher being to let you see your partner just one more time. If you could have only one wish, you wouldn’t wish for money nor anything else but to see your sweetheart again.
2. Cars and Telephone by Arcade FireThe song talks about how you have your partner in your mind but no matter how much you wish it, you can’t just summon them to your side in a blink of an eye. What you have to do is direct your attention to the long-term goal and focus on the day you will see each other again.
3. See You Soon by ColdplayColdplay singer Chris Martin sings about your partner losing trust in you, even when they shouldn’t have. Having trust is perhaps the most important thing for a relationship to work and this is especially true for long distance ones. However, being physically apart for a long period of time can cause suspicion and doubt to enter the relationship even when it’s unfounded. If you haven’t done anything to warrant your partner losing trust in you, then you should try to clear up the misunderstanding with them.
4. Goodnight Starlight by The Juliana TheoryThis is the perfect song to listen to when you feel insecure about your long distance relationship without any reason to. “Goodnight Starlight” will help bring you out of that dark place and make you focus on the future when you can be in each other’s arms again. Loneliness, distance, and even distrust are just things you have to brave through temporarily and it will be worth it in the end when both of you finally come together again.
5. Trouble I’m In by TwinbedThis is a passionate and powerful song about the unbearable despair of not being able to be physically close to your beloved. This is especially so when the night is long and there’s nothing around to distract you from thinking about your partner. This song can help you let it all out and accompany you through those dark lonely nights.
6. Far Away by NickelbackThis is a beautiful yet deeply moving song that sings about the misery of being far away from your loved one. The official music video shows a fireman fighting a raging forest fire while his partner watches the news coverage of the fire on the television in their home. While the story isn’t technically about a long distance relationship, it accurately portrays the helplessness and frustration one feels while being away from his or her beloved.
7. From Where You Are by LifehouseOften it’s the little things about our partner that we miss the most. You can be out having a great time and suddenly something you see, smell, or hear reminds you of your beloved and the yearning returns. That feeling can be so unexpected and strong that it leaves your heart aching for your other half. Lifehouse sings about missing all the smallest things about your partner and how much you wish he or she were there with you.
8. Train Song by Feist and Ben GibbardTrain Song has a hauntingly beautiful tune and lyrics that will make you want to get on a train immediately to go and see your partner! The song hints at that sense of insecurity and suspicion that often comes with long distance relationships. So you just want to get to your partner as soon as possible to help curb those irrational feelings.
9. Hey There, Delilah by Plain White T’sPlain White T’s sings about a girl called Delilah who was thousands of miles away. There are many reasons why couples are forced into long distance relationships like perhaps they go to different colleges and can’t be together until they graduate. Despite the distance, you can still share your dreams and look forward to a future together. While there’s distance between you and your partner, you can still be with each other mentally and spiritually. Hold on to that and focus on getting to the future life where you can finally be together.
10. Love Remembers by Craig MorganThis is a hopeful song that reminds us of how you will never forget the memories of being together, even when your partner is physically away from you. When you are alone and feeling sad, remember the happy times you’ve had together like that moment when you first laid eyes on your partner, the first time you kissed, or how the smell of them lingers even after they are gone.
11. Set Fire to the Third Bar by Snow Patrol and Martha WainwrightAlmost everyone who has ever been in a long distance relationship understands how hard it is to watch other couples being happy together while your partner is so very far away. It’s not that you wish those happy couples ill, you simply can’t bear the pain of loneliness and separation while witnessing the bliss that they show. It hurts even more because they remind you so much of what you’re missing out on.
12. Someday by Bryan GreenbergThis is another great song to listen to when you want to get rid of the negativity and invite in some positive energy. Greenberg sings about how when you’re in a long distance relationship, you are willing to endure all the time when you are apart just to spend a few hours together. Use what little time you have together as a way to keep both of you going until you can see each other again. When you finally have some time to be together, you will do anything just to be there on time.
13. Here Without You by 3 Doors DownWhile you may be far apart from your partner in the real world, physical distance means nothing at all in dreamland. When you close your eyes and start dreaming, there are no limits to what you can do together with your sweetheart. No matter how hard things get, it can never take away your love and you can always see your darling in your dreams.
14. I Still Miss You by Keith AndersonKeith Anderson sings about how you can miss someone so bad that you’ll desperately try anything to make the pain subside. However, almost everything awakens even more memories of your partner, driving you closer to the edge. You can pray, talk to people, drink, stay sober, and yet still find yourself missing your beloved so sorely. The only thing that will stop the extreme yearning is to physically be together again. So far this list is full of very serious and moving songs. Therefore, let’s end it on a more light-hearted note with the final entry.
15. I Still Miss You…A Little Bit by Bryan AdamsThis song sings about how someone who promised to always be true to you betrayed you and ended up with someone else. You’re sad and blue but then you’ll live to love another day. This is a motivating song that has a catchy tune that will put a smile on your face. So listen to the song even when you know your long distance partner is still true to uplift your mood and maybe even dance a little bit!
- Discover more: Missing Someone? Here are 12 Ways To Deal With It!